How to Unclog the Main Drain Line in My House
Clogs on main drain lines cause many problems for homeowners. To fix it, many want to take action but don’t know how. To inform everyone on the way to clear their main drain line, we have gathered some information. Throughout this article, we will go through the signs of a main sewer line clog, the main drain cleaning process, how to prevent drain problems in the future, and how Texas Rooter can help.
Signs Of A Main Sewer Line Clog
If you don’t know whether there is a clog on your main sewer line, there are some signs every homeowner can check. Let’s go over them in this section:
- Back up of sinks and showers. If you suddenly have backups happening on your toilets, sinks, and showers, this shows that there is a clog in the main sewer. Contact a plumbing service right away.
- If you realize that the water starts to be smelly and discolored, one reason for this can be a clog.
- Have you seen random wet or unusual green areas on your lawn? This shows that there can be a burst from the clog of the main sewer line.
Main Drain Cleaning Process
With the right tools and safety measures, you can clean your main drain by yourself. This can be done in six steps. Let’s go over the steps in this section:
- Loosen the cap on the drain pipe. Use a pipe wrench to loosen the cap of your main line and open it entirely.
- Open the cap and let all the buildup drain out. If there is any waste, it will come out with a big rush of water. So, allow it to run off until further steps.
- Use a plumbing snake or auger and read the instructions for it in its manual. Put the auger in the drain pipe, and with the instructions in the manual, start to go down until you hit the clog.
- Run the auger and make sure that the water is beginning to decrease, an indication that the clog has been removed.
- Hose down the pipe and the auger cable on full blast. This will remove any leaves or debris attached to the pipe or auger during the process.
- Slowly pull the auger back out of the pipe and hose the cable a few times.
- Put the cap back and use the pipe wrench to tighten it to its previous state.
How to Prevent Drain Problems In The Future?
Drain problems are caused by human error. So, preventing them is as easy as following a few rules. Let’s see some tips to reduce this problem:
- If you are using a garbage disposal, don’t hold yourself from using much water to flush the food particles down.
- Please do not throw away your toilet paper and other items down the toilet, but throw them into a trash can.
- Don’t throw away oil, coffee or tea grounds, and other materials that can clump and clog the drain line.
- Get a yearly drain maintenance by a residential plumber to prevent this problem forever in your life.
If you don’t want to waste your time and energy fixing a simple drain line clog, consider working with a plumbing service in Hurst, TX. That’s where Texas Rooter comes in. With our modern plumbers, we are dedicated to providing quality services to our customers. Call us today to learn more about us and our services, or get estimates for your next drain line cleaning.